Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:32 AM   #1
Default Question on camera test methods

I'd be intrigued if someone might be able to confirm how Steve's site and other sites undertake their reviews:

When they comment on image quality do reviewers comment using RAW/TIFF files (if available) or do they base their reviews on the highest quality JPEG available on that camera? I am thinking of point & shoot cameras, not SLRs...

Just wondering...

jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:46 PM   #2

I can't speak for the "other" guys out there but I review and rate a camera for its intended audience. The consumer priced cameras, $500 and under are targeted mostly at new users or those that just want to take a picture and then share it or print it. Even if these cameras offer a TIFF mode 95% of the users will opt for JPEG anyway after they take and print both the TIFFs and Fine/JPG they usually find little to no difference in the prints.

Today's Fine/Large JPGs deliver excellent prints and most people want to be able to store more than 20 shots on their 256MB flash cards. The digicams are optimized to create JPG in the camera and most do it very quickly now whereas the TIFF thing is usually a 15 to 30 second pause in which you can do nothing.

Now with the dSLR cameras like the D60, D100, etc. we test these cameras using the RAW modes more than the JPG.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote