Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:31 PM   #1
Default Digitizing 3.5 x 5 Prints

We have several hundred good quality color & b&w 3.5x5 photos from our wedding that we want to digitize for future iPhoto albums, larger prints, emails, etc.

A photo store said they can scan them & provide one or more CDs. They said each photo will be 1 to 2 MB.

My concern is size of these files. On the one hand, I assume high resolution will provide better quality for future large prints, etc. On the other hand, will take lots of space on my computer & take long to email, upload to website, etc.

Seems to me that I would want to obtain very high resolution on CD for the expense of scanning, but then have ability to convert to lower resolution for some of above purposes when I wish. Does that make sense? Can I do that? Also, what format is best to have the store digitize to. Will I actually be able to subsequently obtain high quality prints through iPhoto, etc from these scanned photos?

I'm new at this, so referring me to any additional reference info would be helpful.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:23 PM   #2

As a rule of thumb, You would always want to create images at the highest resolution possible. Resolution is something you can reduce later, but, can never truly get back.

Large files stored on a CD will only take up space on the CD (CD’s have lots of space).

Emailing 1-2Mb files on a dialup connection is slow, and real drag if you have a dialup and someone sends you multi-Meg files.

If you want to work with an image, You would likely read the original off the CD and then save the reduced image to your harddrive so that the copy could be emailed.

There are any number of simple and or free programs that will allow you to scale the image or recompress the image to a smaller file size. One such program would be “http://www.irfanview.com.”

The original would stay untouched on the CD.

As for reprints, if the original picture was of good quality, and the scan was done well, You could get very nice 8x10 reprints
rlpumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:35 PM   #3

1-2 Mb in a compressed JPEG is certainly not large. A CD is approx 650Mb so that's only 2 or 3 CD's for your collection isn't it? The effort goes into the physical process of doing the scanning (which isn't terribly fast). I'd concern myself more with getting a quick pc!

If your pics are B&W scan as grey not colour, it's faster and you get a smaller file. Use a good scanner which might avoid applying corrections to pics afterwards - it all takes up time.

Your biggest problem is indexing or cataloging what you have, and getting the folder structure right before you burn - and don't forget the notes (date of shot etc) people write on photographs. It's also worth including names of people in the shot as memories soon fade!

Have a look at ACDSee software to manage all this. It is possible to create and store thumbnails for each CD full of pics, saved with it as well.

For e-mail, web posting, treat this as a second process when you need it. If you are giving friends CD's then to increase speed on slower PC's, down sample using ACDSee batch modes from your master CD and burn another.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:09 AM   #4
Default Thanks

Thank you rlpumphrey & voxmagna for your replies. I appreciate your help. By the way, I'm a Mac user and use iPhoto.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote