Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:37 AM   #1

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to photography. I've taken many pictures, those were mostly point and shoot variety. I Have used my dads old 35mm SLR Nikon for a while though, just worked my way thru the manual settings till the exposure meter read correctly. The shots came out ok, just not very creative. I have since moved up and decided to get serious about taking pictures. I would like to shoot portraits, Nature and macro. I am interested to find some books that explain the effects of different lighting situations and different settings. (How they effect the exposure)

I do know that I cannot base one particular setting to any and every picture as each one may vary in the settings that are required to get a good photograph by artistic or my style.

any good suggestions are appreciated.

BTW here is the rig im working with at the moment.

Fuji S2pro
Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S
Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR
Nikon Micro 105mm AF
Nikon TC 20E II
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 Manual focus bought 30 years ago
Nikon SB-800 speed light.
Manfrotto Tripod and Head
UV, PL and FL Filters for each lens. (Some B&W, some Crystal Optics or Mercury Optics)

I just read *Understanding Exposure (Revised edition)* by Bryan Peterson

Here are a couple books I thought about purchasing:
1)Mastering Digital SLR Photography (Mastering) by David D. Busch (2004)

2) Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers - Christopher Grey

3) Complete Digital Photography, Third Edition (Digital Photography Series) (Paperback) by Ben Long

Digital Wedding Photography (Paperback) by Paul Gero

5) The Art of Wedding Photography: Professional Techniques with Style (Paperback) by Bambi Cantrell, Skip Cohen
thumper5102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2

The equipment you have is very good. You should have no problems in that department.

The only possible trouble equipment wise is your macro lens. What type of macro are you doing? If your photographing live animals you might have a problem because you will be too close. Nothing wrong with the lens, it just doesn't have a very long focal length for "bug macro".

If you want to do nature work, I would recommend:
John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide[/b]

I've read this one and like it. I would bet that other books by him are also good.

Learning how to be creative and produce good images is not easy. One of the absolute best ways to do it is to look at the works of others. An easy way to do that is by critiqueing other peoples pictures. While I love this forum (if my number of posts didn't make that clear enough) the quality of the photos is very mixed. Take that into account - you can learn from great images, and you can learn from not-so-great. In fact, I think you learn more from them. Make sure the person wants critical comments and then be serious but straightforward in what you say. Don't insult them... saying how you think the image could be better and not make them feel bad is an art. So be careful.

Any way you do it, constantly look at images, figure out what you really like and dislike about them. Think about what they are trying to convey with the image. The really greats in photography have an intent beyond just the image. It could be solitude, color, pain... there is often something else in the really great images.

Another really useful thing to do is enter things like the weekly photo challenge we have here. They force you to expand your ideas and thoughts to meet their themes. You can really do good stuff that way.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote