Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1

Hi, i'm trying to download pictures from my canon powershot s500 to my Window Server 2003 (will call win2k3 for short) but I don't know how.

Under xp, all I do is plug the usb port to my computer, and it'll recongized my camera and provide me interface to download pictures.

Since win2k3 doesn't do what xp does, I assume it has to do with some sort of security setting, I think I need to turn on something, but I don't know what to turn on in order download pictures.

Thanks for ur help.
sirpelidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:08 PM   #2

not entirely sure about windows server (why are you running that anyway?) regardless, after you plug it in it should show up in windows explorer as a removable hard drive. Open windows explorer (or My computer ...win2k3might not have this though) and look for the drive.(C: is the hard drive 1, you might have other, then the cd/dvd is D, etc. The pics are usually under a folder called DCIM. Just highlight the ones you want and drag to a folder on your pute.

Or get an external program. Picasa2 is free and super easy (works on server2k3?) and you can just hit import files and it should see the drive.

All this should work as windows server is based on the same NT core as XP, so the functionality should be the same. It just doesnt have all the cutesy interface stuff for the regular user.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:15 PM   #3

NBot sure about 2003 server but do you have any other USB devices working on this PC?

If not is the USB support and Plug and Play enabled in the BIOS?
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote