Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 13, 2003, 2:33 PM   #1
Default Help getting started

Hi I am new to digital camera photography and I have a ricoh RDC6000. I am confused with the settings and I dont know which one to use. What is 1600 F N or E, 800 F N or E and 640 F N or E? Am I right in thinking that 1600 F is the better quality and 640 E is the worse quality. I am wanting to take some photos to put on ebay so which setting would be best to use? I would be very greatful for any help.

regards Anais :roll:
anais is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2003, 8:34 PM   #2

The standard recomondation is to shoot with the settings that produce the largest files size to get the best quality. Since your aim is to put them on ebay, you will want a small file size so folks don't get bored waiting for the image to download and go away.

Contradictory requirements - high quality vs small file size.

I think you should shoot at the highest quality (largest file size), then use your photo editor to reduce the file size. Cropping first - with extra pixels you don't have to be fussy about getting the "thing" exactly centered. Then cut the pixel size to whatever you are going to use - probably something like 200x300 pixels. Then increase the amount of JPEG compression. If that is done with the photo editor instead of with camera choices, you have more control over the final result.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote