Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 19, 2003, 3:14 PM   #1
Default Lens size/filter stacking question

I have a minolta dimage 7. I know the lens size is 49mm. I want to buy a clear glass ( UV ? ) protector lens and a polarizer.

I would like to be able to screw the polarizer onto the the protector lens. That way, I don't have to change them out. Is this doable? If so, do all glass lenses let you stack? If I buy a 49mm clear lens and stack a polarizer on it - will the polarizer also be 49mm?

Last questions: Can I get both quality lenses for less than $60.00?
If so, where would you shop online?
Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:06 PM   #2

Yes it is possible to screw a polarizer filter on a uv or clear filter. The folks at www.2filters.com can help you and answer all your questions. I looked at their price list and a uv and cir polar filter should run about $45.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast response. I suppose this means the lens cap on the dimage will not fit any longer... so I'll probably have to get one of those also.
Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 1:47 PM   #4

Kohl, your D7 will vignette at wide angles if you stack filters. Even standard thickness 49mm polarizers will vignette without stacking. When you start stacking, it gets worse. You'll need to buy a thin polarizer and not stack it, or step up to a larger filterr size--and even that won't guarantee no vignetting.

Some additional info here:
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 2:28 PM   #5

be real careful on the depth of the ring. thicker then 4mm and you will get vignetting in the corners 2 companies make thin ring filters B&W and Hoya. i use the B&W 49mm and it is threaded in the front so the cap fits. you will have to remove it if you want to use a polorizer. i have my 77mm from my slr lenses and a step up ring 49-77mm to keep it on the cheap since i spent a small fortune on the original 77 pol. looks kinda funky but doesn't vignette. and you can forget the lens shade for that.

call them they are extremely helpful and the prices aren't bad for the quality they carry.

by the way you have a real good IR camera there also. the 7i and above changed a few little things and screwed that up
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote