Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:34 AM   #1
Default best digital cam for europe and art school - canon g3?

hi all you digital camera gurus... i've got a Q for you.

i have looked at cameras for a while now, but am still rather at a loss as to the best bet. the canon g3 is looking pretty hot. would anyone steer me clear? or shall i proceed to checkout?

i have three basic needs that may not really make the best bedfellows:

1. i am going on a 3 month trip to europe and need a digital camera that will be perfect for this. (i will be purchasing an archos multimedia jukebox 20 to store the images on when the card gets filled up.) i will need something that can capture the inside of a cathedral, night time activities, a landscape, people... i guess that's he idea is just a good all around

2. i am also going to use it once i return, of course. i am majoring in art + design... so i need a quality camera to make records of art and will be doing some things with digital imaging in the future. nothing really really intense though. oh, i also do web design freelance style, so it might get some minor use in that arena.. nothing too intense though

3. price... trying hard to keep it around $500 (shipped!) or so for the camera (no choice, really... no more than $600.. and it'll have to be a good reason to go that high). i figure the canon g3 will be in reach (esp in another month or so) and i will be able to snag one before the summer arrives.

thank you all for your help... you've helped me hang on to a thread of sanity.

etrnltoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:11 AM   #2

From what I've heard the G3 is a good bet and will serve you well.

Personally I think big zooms are better for people shots. Saves you poking the lens in their face.

Don't disregard the Oly C4000 and 730 with that big zoom.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote