Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:35 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D50 and will be attending the Northwest Flower and Garden Show in Seattle. It's a show in a convention center that focuses on very large flower arrangements, landscaping, etc with lots of various colors. I believe the lighting is mixed with probaby some flouresent lighting as well.

I haven't played with WB or Metering at all yet, so I'm wondering if these will be necessary adjustments to bring out the contrast and all of the colors of the flowers in detail. I have a Prime 50/1.8 that may be a great lens to experiment with for this occasion. What does everyone reccomend for Aperature and WB? I'm assuming Aperature Priority is the best mode for this situation?

What types of settings have others been succesfull with here?

Thanks in Advance.
MtnClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:51 PM   #2

The lighting in that situation will be nasty. You'll get a weird combination of color tints on the flowers that could make them look very wrong (the lights are not actually white.)

The 50 f1.8 is a small, handy lens and you should definitely bring it. If you have access to something in the 20mm-120mm range I would bring that too. You can't always get as close as you might like in those situation and the zoom will help.

If you don't have a flash, I would recommend one. They'll help fill in shadows that the overhead lighting produces. The downside will be that it will add another color light into the mix.

How good are you at post-processing your images? Personally, I'd shoot in RAW mode. That will let you fix the white balance afterwards and let you have more fun looking and photographing flowers. I would also bring a white piece of paper (or find something white) and photograph it. It won't come out as white, but in post processing you can convert it to white and then apply that color shift to all the other images. It would be a quick way to remove any color shift from the weird lighting situations (assuming no one brings their own lights to augment the building lights. If so, you're in trouble. Then you might have to photograph the white paper through out the day, as you change booths and lighting situations. Annoying to do, but it will make getting the right color much easier when editing.)

Aperature Priority is what I'd use, 'cause it will let you control the depth of field, and that is very important with flowers. Very. And watch your histogram to make sure you aren't making any mistakes. If you could bring a monopod, I would do that. But you might not have one. I'm sure tripods are not allowed.

Specific apertures and white balance settings are not really possible because we don't know the exact situation you'l be shooting in. Larger flowers (like the length of a christmas cactus flower) requires more Depth of Field than something smaller. And some orchids have beautiful but complex flowers that need a larger depths of field.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 6:40 PM   #3

Ditto to Eric's comments.

Also, set your ISO to ISO400 or ISO800 indoors.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote