Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:42 PM   #11

The auto mode will work past 8x10, and the image will be just as detailed as a image taken in manual. I do reccomend you try to use program (P) when you are indoors, so you can set the ISO speeds. The lower, the better. You will risk blurry pictures if there is not enough light, though. To see how ISO speeds will effect your image, try taking a couple images with different ISO settings, and reveiw them on your computer.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:56 PM   #12

Thank you all for your help. As soon as everyone in our family is over the flu, I will get us out and take some pictures. With all the rain, the hills are so green and I don't want to miss out again this year. (I put it off to long last year). Appreciate it!!

futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:49 AM   #13

a camera is a camera is still a camera...........................................

a 5meg camera can produce accecptable 16x20 at 180dpi IF the shot was properly captured:

steady hand and/or tripod

precisely focussed

low iso

(try www.mpix.com for large prints)

good luck, enjoy,

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:30 PM   #14

John is right with his lists of "IFS", and more can be added to that list. Getting everything to go right at the same time is the technical aspect of photography. Practice and paying attention will get you there.

I'd suggest a bunch of practicing without dragging your family into it. Set up some objects where you want to shoot your family - flower pots, footballs, brooms, ...things about the size of a head. That way you can try all kinds of things with your camera without trying the patience of your family.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:21 PM   #15

What a GREAT idea Bill!!:idea: I would have never thought of setting objects up to use as practice. Lord knows with three small children getting the "right" shot is near impossible anyway. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:41 PM   #16

The very best resolution you can get from a 5 Mp image for a 16 X 20 print is 120PPI. You can smooth it out a little with an upsample to 300 PPI, but you still have a 120 PPI image. According to subject and viewing distance it might not look too bad, but there won't be a lot of detail if looked at from a closer distance. People tend to get close to group shots to see the individuals, and they wouldn't see much with that resolution. But most shots can look OK at a normal viewing distance for a large print.

I have a couple of 13 X 17 shots on my wall taken with a 5Mp camera and they look OK if you don't get too close. I did a lot of post processing with them though.

You have to be aware of your shutter speed shooting without the flash. Photos that might be acceptable printed at 4 X 6 will look blurry from handshake at larger sizes. If you press the shutter halfway the camera will tell you what shutter speed it is using. If you are using the optical viewfinder and working to steady the camera and squeeze the shutter, you can get decent results at 1/30 second at wide angle and 1/120 second zoomed. You can't usually generate those speeds indoors. If you are holding the camera out and framing with the LCD you need a little more shutter speed. Of course the LCD shows the entire image and the optical viewfinder doesn't. Since you probably have to crop less shooting with the LCD it is probably a wash which way you shoot.

This is the best simple sharpening program I have found. It is free and does a much more sophisticated job than a simple sharpening or unsharp mask. You can end up with a sharper image with less sharpening artifacts. The default settings work well for most images: http://www.photo-freeware.net/sharpcontrol.php I'm glad to see it back online for download. I was e-mailing it to people for a year because the original author removed it from his site. This is a little tutorial for it: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...rpcontrol.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote