Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 5, 2003, 9:20 AM   #1
Default Extreme newb here (and first post) =]

first of all, hiya!

i just purchased a sony dsc-p31 and am new to photography. not the greatest camera at only 2 MP but it's my first one.

i do alot of hiking and in Arizona there's quite a bit of sunlight i was wondering what exactly ISO is and how i should set up my camera for those outdoor shots. any help appreciated.
NetFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:45 PM   #2

I recommend that you do a little study rather than asking for info piecemeal. Lots of good basic photography and digital photography info on the web. Here's one to get you started with the vocabulary:

I'm not familiar with your particular camera, but for the bright Arizona sun, you'll want the lowest ISO you've got--probably 100. This will also give you the highest quality photos. Depending on the camera and its available apertures and shutter speeds, you may also want to invest in a polarizer and maybe a neutral density filter.

Camera-specific questions will be more likely to get good answers in the Sony forum.

Have fun with your new camera. Take lots of photos and don't be afraid to experiment.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 2:21 PM   #3

As Jim says, the lowest ISO setting is the best to use unless you have good reason to do otherwise. Another good general rule is to use the JPEG setting that produces the largest files size unless you have reason to do otherwise.

Do some reading of your manual, the forums, and tutorials. Shoot a lot. pay attention, and you will figure it out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote