Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 11, 2003, 6:20 PM   #1
Default Advice on buying a digital camera

I have resisted buying a digital camera for a variety of reasons, mainly because I'm entrenched in old habits. I take a lot of photos with slides for magazines (I'm a free-lance writer/photographer). I am in the beginning stages of self-publishing a book, and instead of taking slide film and incurring the expense of having my chromes separated I would rather step up and buy a good, but affordable digital camera. The average size photo would run a half page, but there might be a situation where I'd want to run a full page photo (similar to 8X10). If there's anyone who has advice on what camera would suit my needs I would appreciate any feedback. In terms of what I plan to spend I'm looking at somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500. In advance, thanks.
Portland Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2003, 10:41 PM   #2

A 3MP camera will make nice 8x10's, and so will a good 2MP. In your price range, you can afford far more, but I'd offer these suggestions to help you decide on what camera to buy:
1. What features of your old SLR can you just NOT do without?
e.g., zoom range, exposure compensation, durability, interchangeable lenses, etc.
2. Are you looking for an SLR-sized replacement, or will a smaller camera do?
3. How much do you use flash? Will you need one with a hot shoe, for example?
4. Digital cameras have high power requirements. Make sure you get at least a couple of sets of replacement batteries. Does it matter whether they are AA or proprietary?
5. Are you taking a lot of wide angle photos? The D7i comes with a 28mm equivalent, and most others are 35-38mm.

There are many more ideas, but these are just a few to consider. Once you have your list of specific "wants" compiled, share it here for more specific recommendations. Most everybody is quite pleased with the camera they have, and will recommend the camera they currently use to you.

I sold all my old SLR equipment last year, after I became confident that digital would do all that I wanted. Take your time, use your resources, and pick out the one you want. Just let us know how we can more specifically help!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 7:42 PM   #3

you can go to ebay right now and get a Canon D60 with lens for around $1000.00..........give it a look
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote