Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 22, 2003, 2:41 PM   #1

Default How do you reduce photo size from megs to 250 kb?

I have been trying to find a good Photo Sharing site. One that I have looked at discusses the following:

"If your photos average 250kilobytes each, you could store 400 photos in 100megabytes "

My photos are taken at the higest resolution in my 4 mega camera. The jpg file sizes are 2-3.5 megs. How do I get the file sizes down to for example 250 KB (as mentioned above)?

Won't this severely reduce photo quality when posting on sharing site?

I have Photoshop 6.0, ACDSee 5.0 & IrfanView at my disposal. Any help you might have is much appreciated!

-Matt
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2003, 2:54 PM   #2
NHL

FYI on Irfanview over here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ight=irfanview
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:31 PM   #3

Default Good help, one more question remains...

Thanks NHL
I see the process of batch conversion thanks to your link.

What about the other question I have.. When I take photos with JPG file sizes of 2 to 3.5 megs and then should reduce to 250KB as suggested by PBase. Won't I have a far less quality image?
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 6:16 PM   #4
NHL

It'll all depends on what you want to do with your pictures. I'm probably the worst offender in keeping large files to share the pictures quality with my friends, but others might be bothered by the long loading time (I'm on a broadband connection)!

Pbase does some re-sizing anyway when it displays (so your friend will have to do a save to get the full resolution). For people to browse it usually best to keep the picture size small (on slow modem) otherwise most will not bother to wait for the picture to load...(on original size) :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 6:48 PM   #5

you'll do two things.

First, You'll re-szie them. This means the physical dimensions, or the number of pixels high by number wide. A 2.0 MP camera at top resolution will usually be 1600x1200. This is much to large for screenviewing for the vast, vast majority of computer users. Less pixels == less bytes to store. 640x480 is pretty good for the web. It will appear at a pretty good size on most monitors.

Next, you'll compress some more when you save it as JPEG. You get to controll the amount. Play around with it some. You'll get an idea oh how much you can compress before you notice it on screen.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 7:59 PM   #6
lg

A 640x480 picture saved at 80% quality JPEG compression will give you a picture that has excellent quality for posting with a fairly fast load time for a 56K dialup connection (because of the smaller file size). From my experience, you can't see any difference in picture quality when displayed on a computer monitor at this setting compared to the same size picture saved at 100%.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 4:59 PM   #7

Default Re: How do you reduce photo size from megs to 250 kb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber

My photos are taken at the higest resolution in my 4 mega camera. The jpg file sizes are 2-3.5 megs. How do I ....
-Matt

Why do you take such big pictures?

ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 5:10 PM   #8

Grabber grabs the biggest size and quality he can so he can print 10x8's or crop afterwards or put his pics on a BIG plasma panel -without saying 'That was a brilliant shot - pity I can't go back and re-shoot for that big print I want to do' Hard disc space comes cheap these days.

Grabber has plenty of cam memory and maximises his cams pixel and processing power in every shot. He wasn't influenced by the 'how many pics can I get on my card' thing and shoots for quality everytime.

And, if grabber is posting or re-purposing for the web, email or mini prints - he's just learned how to downsample and not lose out on quality whenever he needs it in future. NB always edit copies, AND SAVE CAM. ORIGINALS UNALTERED.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote