Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 25, 2003, 9:18 PM   #11

Alfisti, just like BillDrew prefers 4x10 prints, I prefer the 4:3 ratio(e.g., 1600x1200 for my camera) because that perfectly fits all of the popular screen resolutions. I prefer that because I maintain a few websites with pictures, and it just makes things a whole lot simpler for me! I guess this is a good example of the old addage: "Different strokes for different folks."
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:51 AM   #12

Without a doubt the most popular print size is 4x6" and this is why Nikon and Sony cameras have a special 3:2 mode. The 3:2 aspect ratio yields "perfect" 4x6" prints. All of the personal dye sub printers use the 4x6" print size and it's also the most popular photo paper size used in inkjet photo printers too.

If you use the optical viewfinder you will always capture more in the image because the coverage of an optical viewfinder is usually only 80-85% except for true SLR cameras which are generally close to full coverage. This "extra" image will give you a little more cropping room for 4x6" prints and you can always purposely zoom back a little more than normal if you don't have a 3:2 mode in your camera.

I really wish that ALL digicam makers included a 3:2 aspect ratio option if it isn't the native image size of the camera. We can only hope that they all wise up one of these days 8)

steve is offline   Reply With Quote