Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 30, 2003, 5:08 AM   #1
Default Casio QV-R4.....no-one really mentions this camera...WHY???

HI All,

I narrowed my search down to Casio QV-R4, as I need the following from a digital camera...

- Compact and Good Looking
- Simple to use
- Good Quality picture which I'll be printing and need near 35mm quality
- Good shots of moving drunken bodies
- Good (well...good enough) shots of landscape from a moving vehicle

So why does no-one mention this camera????

Is there a better one available??

Not too concerned with how much I spend...just got my bonus!!!..Just need a tiny, reliable, good quality camera.

reggie_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2003, 5:26 AM   #2

My feeling about why no one else is talking about it is because the 3-4 megapixel digicam market is filled with exciting new cameras. The RV4 is about 6 months old now and others companies like Minolta, Canon, and Olympus have debuted some pretty nice cameras since then. Even Casio has released the Z3 which looks a lot like the RV4, but would presumably have better software inside.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 5:44 AM   #3

So do you not think its worth buying the QV-R4? It's like a massive maze. Every daya I wanna buy a camera and everyday, I hesitate cos I don't wanna make the wrong decision. Its almost scary how indecisive I've become!!

Based on my requirements which one would you go for?
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:36 AM   #4

Could be a "Casio isn't a proper camera maker" thing and therefore viewed with suspicion
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 1:02 PM   #5

It's curious looking at Steve's cam categories (which you might if you didn't want a lemon cam). Now, high up the list of posts are the Oly's/Nikons/Fujis etc. Lower down is the Casio. Really low is the Ricoh where I put a post because a felt sorry for a brand that had no posts!

So what conclusions could we draw? The greater the posts, the less reliable/more problematic the cam? In which case Casios and Ricohs must be superb!. What about popularity? the higher the posts, the more people have the cam - so you'd expect more discussion. AND the greater the chances the manufacturers will take ownership of problems and improve.

What did they say about damn lies and statistics???
What would be useful would be to see some credible sales volume statistics by model, manufacturer and price. Could we get our own survey going here, what cam owned and satisfaction level, without it being hi-jacked?

I suspect the outcome will be a bell shaped curve, with the DSLR's tucked up in the upper quartile, the Ricohs down the bottom and everything else around the median. So which cam are you going to buy?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 3:22 PM   #6
Default Casio camera

I too looked at the Casio, and when I took at look at it in the shop, I didn't like the feel of it in my hands. It had all the features I needed but felt too small and not comfortable to use.

It was just my personal perference really.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 3:53 PM   #7

Casio is not a familiar name in camera, but they do make a lot of cameras and OEMed them to others... it's not just optics anymore, but miniaturized computers and Casio is as good as anybody at this (or better!!!) 8) 8) 8)

They are just not one of the brand associated with professional photography that's all... There are others as well, like Konica that used to build camera for Agfa, and I'm sure Ricoh does the same (they were the 1st with a camera with a web enabled modem port!). :P

Some brands just can't sell cameras under their own brand, while others can put their LABEL on anything (including proprietary stuff) and their merchandises still move like bread and butter (It's called Marketing!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 4:43 AM   #8

Well it seems like the Casio's are out...cos I'm the sort of guy who believes in safety in numbers. I might have to look at the PENTAX 430s.

I read Steve's review and apparantly the Pentax and the Casio QV R4 are the same camera and are probably made by the same company...so why the difference in opinions on the same product???

Is it just me or is anyone else confused aswell?

Still doesn't answer my question as to which camera to buy. I liked the QV-R4 for the size and features.....if thats out of the running then which one should I go for?
Old May 1, 2003, 7:58 AM   #9

I have a Casio 3000 and am fairly happy with it - about as much as I would be with any three year old digicam. I think the biggest problem with Casio, or any other off-brand, is lack of support. Not very many companies support their consumer digicams very well, so that really isn't much of a problem. But since not very many other folks have the same camera, there is less information and after market support. Still a reasonable amount, but no where near as much as for (e.g.) a Nikon 9xx.

But if it is cheaper, that can be a fair trade-off.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote