Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:46 PM   #1

hello,i brand new to cameras and my son started t-ball and im going to make him a scrap book of the whole year. i just got a canon ae1 "1980" with a TOU/FIVESTAR AUTO MACRO ZOOM 1:45 75-200MM LENS. i have two questions,one is can anyone tell about the lens i have will it be good for t-ball shots mainly close-ups? two,what is the best film i need to use.thanks everyone
mreed38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

The lens is equivalent to a 4X pair of opera glasses when zoomed out. You will have to do some zooming with your feet and don't expect closups of action at second base. Your f4.5 at zoom isn't the brightest but you can capture action fine in daylight.

If your secret location is in the US I would stick with Kodak consumer film. For T-ball you would probably do best with their High Definition ASA400 film. If you have trouble finding High Definition, the ASA 400 Max will do fine and is available most places.

Others might disagree, but I would probably use Kodak Gold ASA 200 film for general purpose use. With a f3.5 to 4.5 lens it would probably give you a good latitude for most situations. Use the ASA 100 for portraits and situations without a lot of action and plenty of light.

This is primarily a digital photography site. You might get better information from people regularly using film. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search Keep in mind that many will recommend professional films but consumer film gives you the best latitude for mistakes if you aren't really a pro.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:54 PM   #3

If it's a late day game, say after 3pm, you might want to consider ASA 800 film.

If it's a mid day game, you could go for ASA 100 or ASA 200.

Is the AE1 manual focus?

There's a lot to be said for using an autofocus camera.

Maybe consider buying a DSLR?

Sounds like your son will have many years of sports ahead of him, and in the long run you may save time and money shooting digitally versus shooting film.

Plus with digital you can take lots and lots of shots and it won't cost you anything.

--- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote