Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:00 PM   #1

Greetings. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5600 and I've noticed that I get many blurry pictures (outside, with good light conditions) with the optical zoom at maximun capacity. I do press the shutter button half-way to set the exposure and focus but I'm still getting some blurry pictures... Is this normal?

Thank You.

PS 1: When I use a tripod the pictures are perfect and I repeat, it only happens at 3x zoom

PS 2: Sorry for my english.
nbussio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:29 PM   #2

If the pcitures are perfect while taken on a tripod but blurry when handheld then that points to hand shake, which always becomes more noticable when you are zoomed to max.

The further you zoom the more a little hand shake adds to the blurred pictures.

Also despite the fact that that you are shooting out doors in bright light as you zoom the lens takes in less light and this translates into the camera needing to leave the shutter open for a longer time to get the correct amount of light. The longer the shutter is open the longer your hand has to shake and ruin the picture.

Combine the longer shutter time with the longer zoom and hand shake can become a problem.

Have a look at the blurry pictures and check the shutter speed.

The rule of thumb is 1/focal length (some say 1/(1.5xfocal length) )to find the minimum speed that should be used for shake free shots when the camera is handheld though if you and the camera are braced and taking the shot as normal using the camaras viewfinder then you can perhaps break the rule.

Ie at maximum zoom, 105mm you would need shots taken at 1/100s or faster while at wide angle, 1/35s would be fine.

Note that the rule of thumb was developed by people using slr cameras with the camera pressed to their face as they look through the viewfinder thus providing a steady and stable platform for the camera.

Nowadays you see people holding cameras at arms length to use the lcd screen and this is not a stable or steady way for the camera to be held, thus the camera shake problem becomes worse.

So, shoot on tripod or using the fastest shutter speed you can.

Use the viewfinder as pressing the camera to your face and having your arms inclose provides a more stable platform for the camera, failing that , brace yourself if possible or get closer and use as little zoom as possible.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote