Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1

Dear all:
Recently I notice that my digital camera (sony dsc-p100) lens contains two black smudges -- I can actually see the smudges on my pictures -- the black smudges are most prominent when I take pictures of something bright, like the sky.

Interstingly the smudges seem to appear lighter when I try to focus. I've recently bought a lens cleaning kit and has scrub and scrub, with the provided lens cleaner and paper -- at one point even used a q-tip to no avail -- nothing seem to work! Worse is that I notice that now there maybe two new smudges on the right corner!

This leads me to believe that it maybe the ccd sensor itself or perhaps a inner lens of some sort that is corrupted --does anyone know what is wrong? More importantly does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can get rid of the smudges --

thank you so much more your time. Happy 4th of July!

simplitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:56 PM   #2

It sounds like dust on the Sensor. It's usually more noticeable at smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers), and the camera will use smaller apertures pointed towards a bright sky.

Does it look something like the spots you see on these photos (from a Sony DSC-W1 owners that got two cameras in a row with dust)?

If so, that's probably your problem.

Try this at your own risk.... but, from time to time I see someone report using a vacuum cleaner over the lens to pull loose specs of dust away from the sensor on a camera with an non-removable lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote