Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:06 AM   #1

A while back I bought a Fujifilm Finepix S602Zoom. It was a good price and had all the features I wanted, or so I thought. After taking some pictures I was reasonably impressed with the quality but instead of reading the manual I was lazy and used it to take the odd picture here and there.

Then more recently I asked a friend to borrow the camera and become familiar, the idea being he could give me tips on how to take a more interesting picture.

On his return his pictures were excellent, which meant just as I'd guessed it was the user and not the equipment that wasn't up to the task.

After some tips and learning about aperture and Fstops I took the camera out taking pictures of different subjects and was reasonably impressed with the results:

Gallery 1

Gallery 2

Then I visited a local race track and took this picture. The initial preview looked promising but when I got it onto the big screen I was very disappointed with the noise levels on the front of the car; samples(click once to view and then again to view full size).

ISO 200/F2.8/1-3000

I know this camera is getting a little long in the tooth but until now it served me well and I'm pretty sure it's more user error than the camera being at fault.

Any advice to combat this kind of noise levels would be kindly received
AdamPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:01 PM   #2

Hey, bro'...I can't see any of your pictures. The site refuses me entry.

Anyway, generally, to minimize noise you should shoot at the lowest ISO available to you. That would be ISO 160 in your case. I really don't think that the small ISO increase to 200 in the shot you are concerned about would produce that much extra noise.
Sometimes, JPEG artifacts from highly compressed images can lend a "noisier" look to a pic. This is especially evident in pics shot at lower resolutions at low quality (high compression).

Lightening-up an underexposed shot can bring out noise, also -- especially in the shadows.

If you generally shoot at full resolution at medium or high quality at the lowest ISO and don't severely underexpose, your shots should look pretty good.

You might want to investigate one of the free noise-reduction programs, also, like Noise Ninja or Neat Image. They can almost work miracles!

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote