Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:55 AM   #1

Hi All

Ok I am starting to fall into the newbie category here. Can someone give me some pointers to obtaining the optimum image quality. I have an EOS 30D shooting raw and I have some reasonably quality lenses such as the Canon 24-105 f4/5.6 IS L and the Canon 10-22m.

I am struggling to get the best quality image. For example when viewing a full resolution image at 100% I am suffering from slight blur of image even after running an unsharp filter across the image. Surely 100% should give me some crisp looking images. Generally I am into weddings and although I am happy with the pictures I have taken I know some of them could be better. Any guidance someone can give me would really help.

Many thanks

stevensalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:11 AM   #2

Correct exposure, correct focus and stop viewing your shots at 100% on the computer and judge them by the final print and you will probably be much happier!

Post a resized shot that you are not happy with(here or in the critique sevtion)and maybe someone will have some pointers.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:01 AM   #3

For the love of humanity, stop obsessing over 100% crops!!!

Be reasonable - how many times are you going to print at 100% ?

Get some test prints of your images - do they look good at the print size you will normally be printing at? If so, that's the goal. With more practice the whole image will get sharper.

But, it also helps to understand how focusing works. The better the contrast, the better the focus will be. There are some people for instance who have a very soft, smooth complexion and it can be difficult for auto-focus to be sharp at wide apertures. Also make sure you understand depth of field - if you're shooting at wider apertures, you'll have a narrow depth of field. So, if you're shooting a group of say 3 people - you MAY end up with a soft image depending on where your focus was (and on focal length and distance to subjects, etc...)

So my advice is:

1. Stop viewing 100% crops - it really is counterproductive at this point

2. Read up on and study how the focus system on your camera works and how contrast is important.

3. Study and practice with depth-of-field.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote