Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 14, 2003, 10:17 AM   #1
Default A70 vs P72

I'm getting ready to purchase my first dig. camera and am having trouble deciding between these two. I like the fact that the A70 has manual controls but I'll probably never mess with them. I've looked at both cameras and like everything about the A70. The only thing I'm worried about is picture quality. Some people have told me the Sony is superior in this aspect. What are your opinions?
jmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2003, 3:41 PM   #2

I'd stick with the a70. I have heard people claiming the p72 pic is better, but ive also heard that the a70 is better than the p72, probably depends on the conditions and opinions of the viewer. The a70, however, uses cf storage which is cheaper and better than memorystick.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 8:25 AM   #3

The A70 is superior in Video mode!
Im also thinking about purchasing one but the only bad thing about the A70 is its size.
A little bit to big..
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 8:55 AM   #4

P72 is an excellent camera if your are not too picky about picture details, quality and faithfulnes to the real image (color, contrast, etc). Also, P72 is crap if your consider taking low light pics.

If you dont care about anything like that, just like to have "draft" representations of the scenes you shot, then the P72 is a go.

You can shot videos until your flash card is full, but their quality is not good compared to the A70, which are superb.

BUT, in the meantime, if you like good quality pics, great colors, and you are willing to understand how your camera puts out good pics (not talking about pro manual settings), put rather light positioning, holding it REALLY still, etc, etc, etc, than the A70 is the winner.

the camera is GREAT, but it requires you to "work with it", instead of just pulling it out, pointing and shoting. its a very sensitive one, so the minimun hand shake might get you a soft image.

believe me, i have taken incredibly detailed and 0% soft pics with it after i learned a few "tricks" (like the hand shake one).

Also, it just dropped price.........

maafbh is offline   Reply With Quote