Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 11, 2002, 11:25 PM   #1

Hi, I am deciding wether to buy a DCS-P31 that doesnt have optil zoom but digital zoom its a 2.1 Megapixl, or the A30 buy Canon that does have zoom and 1.3 megapixel.
If none of those are good, what should I get if I want to just take pictures of friends and whatever pops up on a vacation? All I want is goood quality in fotos on email, I wont ever print anything. THANX!!!!!!!!! I dont want to spend over 450 Canadian, hehe
BRAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2002, 11:09 AM   #2

I think you'll find that most folks here agree that digital soom is something best ignored. It "zooms" by cropping the bitmap and stretching it to a larger size. You only get zoom effect by degrading the image quality.

That may make your decision one step simpler but you need to set priorities. 2.1 megapixels will print a nice inkjet 8x10 but if you have to crop or degrade the image with digital zoom you'll get poor quality or jagged images. 1.3 megapixels will make poor 8x10 prints but be quite good at 5x7. Since the A30 has a 3x optical zoom you can take photos of slightly more distant scenes without having to crop.

My advice is to get at least a 2.1mp camera with at least a 3x optical zoom. Spend a bit more up front and you'll have a much more useful camera.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 9:53 AM   #3

he has hit the nail right on the head. a few years ago the the marketing mob pronounced that the zoom factor was cool in the camcorder game. i shoot stills. my wife likes the video. we purchased a cross over digital 8 camera that touted a 3.6-72 mm optical and 360x digital zoom. i wouldn't even waste my time doing the math on the synthetic focal length. it has never been used in the field applying the digital zoom. with that setup a stout tripod and sandbag is necessary to cut down the whispering breeze shakes the camera. also the grain factor is also multiplied. the electronc shake protection doesn't cut it at that point
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote