Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 21, 2003, 9:37 PM   #1
Default first dig. cam. 2MP or 3 MP?

Hi. I am a total newbie and want to buy a digital camera.
I am a college student, therefore I am poor and I live in a poor country. ops:

Anyway, I have been reading some reviews and can't decide. I am interested in OLYMPUS CAMEDIA D-520 Zoom, which has 2MP. What do you think? Is 2MP enough?

I tried to compare sample pics of 3MP cameras and 2MP but they look similar to me.

What other brand would you recommend me? Does Sony make good dig. cameras?

Also, what is your opinion about refurbished cameras? I am trying to buy at ebay in my country and refurbished ones are cheaper. Are they "dangerous"?

I am not skilled at photography but I am interested in learning and also, I want a camera that will last for many years and something that is affordable.

Thank you!!!!
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2003, 11:43 PM   #2

My camera is a 2MP camera.

Its great for 4x6, I don't see a problem with 5x7s but I haven't yet printed off a 8x10 though after reading through these forums, 8x10 print would be done without any cropping, so you would have to frame your shot almost perfectly to get a decent quality picture.

If you have the budget to go for the 3MP I would suggestion going for that
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 8:26 PM   #3

I'll ditto Gimli's point. If you ever plan to print 8X10's, get the 3 megapixel. You can print a good 8X10 from a 2 megapixel file, but not if you need to do any serious cropping. The 3 megapixel file gives you a little leeway for cropping
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 10:44 PM   #4

Thanks very much for your replies.

I think I will go for 3MP.

I ahve another question. Which brand make better di-cams: canon, olympus or sony?
Old May 23, 2003, 3:03 PM   #5

Different people will have different views on this, affected by many things including brand loyalty, past experience etc.

It also depends on what you are looking for and what is and isn't important to you, if you are looking for pointers it would help the folks on here to give a little more info ie what kind of pics you want to take, how much manual control you want if any (worth considering here possible future requirements too ie for now maybe u just want point and shoot but in future want more control -in this kind of case then maybe u want to go for a more featured cam in the 1st place).

If it is within your budget I believe the Canon A70 (or the A60 for 1 megapixel less but less money) is worth shortlisting.

Hope that helps some.

stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 5:11 PM   #6

As Stef has pointed out brand bias will cloud some judgements and recommendations. I would look for these in your camera:

2 to 3 mp (if you plan to print 8X10 then 3mp)
3X optical zoom
some manual controls
f2.8 glass lens

Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji or Olympus (my favorite) would all be good cameras with the above attributes.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 8:23 AM   #7

Compare the picture quality on Steve's review from the D-520 to that of the D-550, which is a 3MP camera made by the same manufacturer. If the images of the 520 suit you, then don't bother with worrying about a 3MP; if not, consider paying a little more for a 3MP camera.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 3:36 AM   #8

Thanks all for your help!!!

I have spent 3 night comparing the red M&M sample pic from d550 and d520.

Even though the 3MP one looks sharper I don't see that much difference and I won't be doing much of photo editing with PC and want to save some money for memory (64MB) and rechargeable batteries.

So, I decided for d520 but I am going to wait one week, just to make sure that this is not just a shopping impulse (?).

I like Canon cameras but they are too expensive here and they look fragile and I am very clumsy...

Thanks again everyone!!! I will be showing you guys my masterpiece pictures soon! :lol: