Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:04 PM   #1

I am new to photography, well so much as I want to know how to take a "proper" photo not just the run of the mill holiday snaps. I have a Fuji S5600 camera and I love it but I have not got a clue how to use use it other than point and shoot!

Can anyone suggest any exercises or tips on how I can learn the ISO, F stop and shutter speeds do and how they affect the pictures? If anyone knows of any good books that will help me the please suggest them but then need to be simple and not geek speak as I am a simple creature!!!! I will be joining my local photo club which will also help.

Sam :?
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:19 PM   #2

Try the links here........tons of info:

Also, http://www.luminouslandscape.com is listed there & their "Understanding Series" covers most of your questions. It's called the "Information Superhighway" for a reason....
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:20 PM   #3

In addition to those links, "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a good entry level book.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 4:47 PM   #4

A couple of good suggestions above...

I feel that properly composing photos is the key to great (or even good) pictures. Don't try to get too much into each shot. I call it "the artist's eye". Take a lot of pictures. Look at the EXIF data your camera produces to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Practice, practice, practice :-)
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote