Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 22, 2003, 2:37 PM   #1
Default Which camera for taking live sport features?

Being new to the world of digital camera, I need some help here.

I'm after a camera that would be suitable for sporting events (I'm playing and watching a lot of volleyball, my brothers are in other sports like horse-riding ...) and bird watching. As you can see not only I need a camera with the smallest shutter lag possible but I probably need a reasonnable (read - more than the usual 3x) optical zoom thrown in for good measure.

The size of the CCD is not too important, these pictures are more for my pleasure than professionnal. If I can print them 7x5" that owuld be fine (I suppose 3Mp enough, but what about 2Mp ?)

I already have a 35mm type Canon EOS, but sometime (especially weekends out) it would be so much more practical to have a small camera rather than that one !

I'm getting the hang of the features and vocabulary but finding the right camera is a bit of a nightmare ! So if anybody can give me some names and/or models to go by that would be appreciated !

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2003, 7:26 AM   #2

Have you taken a good look at the Fuji Finepix s602 zoom?
A friend of mine has it and takes nice actionpictures of her horse. It has a nice zoom too. It has 6x optical zoom, but it's also a pretty large camera.

I'll be buying the Nikon Coolpix 3100. It has a nice shutterspeed and the delay seems to be ok too. But it doesn't have the zoom abilities you seem to need in a camera. It does have a sportsmode, that takes, from what I have heard, very nice action pictures.
Shoshone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 12:05 PM   #3

Yes, for what you want to do, even 1.5 megapixels may be plenty of resolution. What you really need is to be able to capture action at a reasonably fixed plane (action not moving toward or away from the camera) and you need the optical zoom to allow this.

You might do well to try and find an Olympus E-100RS which has features which would be excellent for your purpose. The E-100RS can often be found for around $500 (its original MSRP was $1500) and has a stabilized 10X optical zoom lens, a tremendous pre-capture feature, shoots full resolution images at up to 15 frames per second and produces stunning images. It uses SmartMedia AND CF types I & II including MicroDrive. It's a dynamite little camera which I sometimes use in place of my EOS-1D for certain types of sports action.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 8:21 AM   #4

The E-100RS is pretty hard to find now, even refurbished or used. It would truly be the BEST camera for fast action shots because of the capability of taking up to 15fps! If you don't need to take pictures that fast, then consider a refurbished C-2100. There's still plenty available, and you can find them for under $400US if you shop dilligently.

Regardless of your choice, you said you wanted to take action pictures of volleyball. You might want to consider getting a really good external flash, because my observation is that the lighting in a gym is not quite what you need to stop action. Night football/soccer games are also quite a challenge.

For birdwatching, the B-300 and the TCON1.7 are both excellent teleconverters that will turn either of these cameras into 646mm zoom cameras! Happy hunting for the best camera that meets your needs.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote