Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:20 AM   #1
Default Shutter lag

My son is a fighter pilot and likes to take photos of the jets while on the ground and in the air. He often remarks about having to lead a fast moving jet; to capture it in the frame. Is this shutter lag?

I'm looking at purchasing him a Cannon S95, which seems best suited for his needs. I'm concerned that he won't be able to catch the fast moving aircraft without having to compensate. Does anyone have any knowledge of the S95's shutter lag; or does anyone have a recommendation for a camera with the capabilities of photographing high speed objects (which is reasonably priced)? Thank you in advance.. Steve
longnest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:58 AM   #2

Most of the lag time with cameras is caused by the autofocus getting a lock on the subject. If you disable the autofocus, and preset the focal distance, there is very little lag. Setting your exposure manually also helps, as the camera doesn't have to calculate exposure. With very fast moving objects, though, you may have to pan the camera to keep up. If you have set a quick enough shutter speed, you won't have a motion blur problem.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:18 PM   #3

he takes photos from in the jet too? does he steer with his knees?
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote