Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:50 PM   #1
Default Lytro has unveiled their Light Field Camera

It's here!!!

Check out our preview for more details.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:13 PM   #2

I've played with the samples on the Lytro website and while it was fun to play with the focus for a few minutes I was left asking what else is there to this. Maybe it's meant for social networking as I've read elsewhere and people would riffle through the image and recognize friends as they come in focus or maybe this is the new paradigm for cell phone cameras.

Look for Thom Hogan's October 20th take on Lytro http://www.bythom.com

Maybe I'm too old fashioned to think outside the box!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:28 PM   #3
Default 'new' concept

The camera at the moment I think is selling a 'promise' of GREAT things to come. Currently the only real compelling thing is no shutter lag at all and no need to focus at all. The files are 'complete' and 'promise' to be manipulated to render 3D, etc. 'down the road'. This first iteration of a 'light field camera' is not going to change the photography world at all. In fact, the 'demo' images on their own site are quite 'average' at best. BUT, just like the first digital cameras got better and better, I expect this one to revolutionize the whole scene of photography in time. Having said that, there are a lot of marketing mistakes being made, I think. Hopefully they will be overcome. Actually, a better route for them would be to 'license' to Apple who have all the resources to do it right, and do it right away. People tire of promises very quickly.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote