Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > News Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:39 PM   #11

Sony fixes prices, to the point that anyone that undercuts the SonyStyle store on anything may lose their ability to buy new stock of anything. Nobody else goes that far, and the only retailers that ignore the consequences are the ones that are going out of business anyway (like Ritz is and Circuit City did.)

The markup on cameras and lenses isn't that great to start with, but there's a little bit of wiggle room, and the stores that have low overhead and/or do a lot of business out of their warehouse, can offer lower prices than the brick & mortar storefronts that have to keep stock on the shelves, and knowledgeable people behind the counters.

I can buy Canon cameras from a wholesaler I deal with for other stuff, but even at wholesale, I can get them cheaper from Adorama, especially with the instant rebates. The markup on Sony cameras is actually pretty high, supposedly to keep the mom & pop shops healthy, but since not a lot of mom & pop shops sell Sony stuff, it's really just to keep the SonyStyle stores going.

It may not be "Price" for matresses, but nobody buys matresses on-line (yet). For cameras, and other big ticket electronics, yeah, it's price.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote