Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:14 AM   #11

Hi Bill

If you are using a tripod be sure to turn off the "VR" feature on the lens. If you leave it on you will usually get crappy pictures.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:06 PM   #12

Ok, finally finished reading "Understanding Exposure" and I have to say that it was a very enjoayable read. I guess that's just because I have always enjoyed photography, just never have had the means to take good pictures.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The book helped me out considerably in my basic knowledge of setting aperture and shutter speeds.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I do have a question, though. In the book, Bryan uses aperiture and shutter priority modes on his cameras from time to time. I've always felt/understood that pro photographers see this as "cheating" and you should always use full manual mode. Am I correct in my understanding? I am using A and S modes more frequently now than full auto mode (although I have used it for some quick snapshots), but I have also started to use M mode after I take the shots to see if I can replicate what the camera did.

I'll post some photos when I get out to get some good ones.

Thanks all!

kellamMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:40 PM   #13

I don't know any pro's who think that any of the priority modes are cheating. I'm not a pro, but I rarely shoot in manual...only in tough or studio conditions, or if I'm trying to achieve a certain affect. I shoot 95% of the time in Aperature priority. It's about the final results, not how you get there.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote