Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

Yes, the D80 w/kit lensehas some softness issues.

From what I see this just means only a VERY HIGH QUALITY LENSE [which the 18-135 DX is not] will bring out the best this camera has to offfer.

I have see pics. from the D80 taken with a 105 mm 2.8 Nikkor micro.THEY WERE RAZOR SHARP.

So Invest wisely in H.Q. glass, The D80 shines. I.M.H.O.

What I love is the fantastic color capturing ability. This was Adobe sRGB II mode.

Lense; Tokina 28-70mm Macro

Attached Images
starriderrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:41 PM   #2

I disagree. I've found the 18-135 more than acceptably sharp. It's as sharp as or in most cases sharper than the 18-70 until you get to about 120mm, and then only declines a little. I think most of the issue with this lens can be attributed to hand holding at the longer focal length. You'll need shutter speeds of at least 1/250th to shoot handheld at full zoom. An increase in ISO or a tripod/monopod will help in most situations. The only issue I have with the lens is slightly more distortion (typical of a wide zoom range) and more CA and fringing, and a poorer build quality. I'd have to say if you need better sharpness than this lens, you should be shooting pro glass anyway. Also, the D80 does not sharpen aggressively in camera and most images will require sharpening in post work. I'm not a fan of the in camera sharpening algorithm, but it coud be cranked up to reduce softness as well.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote