Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:51 PM   #1

Today I went to Midway airport in Chicago to take pictures of landing planes. As you can see the plane came out OK but the sky was a complete wash out. The background sky when I took the picture was a deep blue with a little haze.
I used the D80 with the Nikon Vr 80-400mm lens. It was taken with Matrix metering, shutter priority at F/320, 195mm. I couldn't believe the sky came out completely white.
Are there any suggestions how I can avoid this next time. Should I change the metering system?

Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:50 AM   #2

Hi Tony,

The problem is that the sky was way off latitude to the airplane. You metered on the plane and it came out perfect. If you metered on the sky it would have been perfect. The best thing to do is for you to take a picture of the blank sky on a good day and saveit in your files. Then in photoshop or whatever you use. You can merge the airplane onto the new background and end up with a very nice photograph. Doing this is not much diffrent then We used to do when using film. It is just much easier to do on the computer.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote