Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:27 PM   #1

I'm fortunate to use two great camers-the D2X and the D200. Overall, I think both are great cameras. But, delving through the handbook the other day, it occured to me that I have yet to come across circumstances when I might want to use the shooting bank function on either camera.

Anyone out there using this function and care to comment on its usefulness or otherwise?

slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2

Billie Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:30 AM   #3

Yes I use them

I set ISO and white balance for the type of light I encounter and switch accordingly

i.e. Sunny day White balance to full sun and ISO 100, dark cloudy day White balance cloudy and ISO 400

I find it handy although I realiseyou can quickly set these on top of the camera

jetmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:07 PM   #4

Just to confuse you a little more, there are 4 Shooting Banks and 4 Custom Settings Banks.

Do I use them? Not very often.

But I recommend setting them up. It's a great exercise in learning all the variations you can employ when taking photos! :lol:

I have set up the banks so one is dedicated to auto-ISO. This one is designed for indoors, mostly. It's useful for maintaining high shutter speeds for action instead of slowing down the shutter to get the exposure right.

I do have one set up for shooting HDR. I'll be in RAW and associated with a Custom Settings bank for shooting HDR (High Dynamic Range) shots. When doing that, I don't want any custom settings like Tone Compensation=AUTO employed because they may make subtle changes to my photo. I'm doing bracketed shots.

Thom Hogan's guide recommends leaving Bank A blank and using that for all your manipulations. Not a bad idea, really. (But he also says we should avoid FOLDERS at all costs -- something that certainly doesn't make sense to panorama shooters!)

All my WB/QUAL/ISO settings are usually set manually at the start of any shoot.

If you aren't using your banks, why worry? I've never found a situation that didn't require some adjustments...and then your bank is altered until you clear it.

reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:07 AM   #5

If you use the camera in a studio with flashes, and outdoors you can preset this situations.

hetraykas is offline   Reply With Quote