Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:39 AM   #1

Hi, so I am about to order my first SLR Nikon D50. I am upgrading from a point and shoot and have heard this is the best intro option. However, there are many different packages that it comes with it seems as far as lenses. so I have a few questions.

1. If I get Tamron lensons will I be sacrificing the quality of my pictures?

2. are these two lenses adaquate for a beginer to learn and still take good pics.

Tamron 75-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Lens
Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF Autofocus Lens

3. If not can anyone recomend something different???

I really apreciate this I feel like Im feeling my way in the dark here!!! :?

:-) Leah

pert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2

Tamron lens have a good reputation for the most part. You may wish to investigate their DI or DI-II lenses however http://www.tamron.com/lenses/default-photo.asp as they are more suitable for DLSRs.

You may find the 28-80mm leaves you short in the wide-angle department. The D50 has a 1.5 crop factor that makes the 28-80mm look more like a 42-120mm. A lens that starts around 17 or 18mm, such as the 18-70mm Nikon kit lens is a much more useful range (27-105mm) and is a damn good lens to boot.

The 75-300mm is a good telephoto range but you have to keep the shutter speed high, over 1/300 second, and use a firm support as you get out to the long end if you want good results.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:44 AM   #3

If you want a very good allround lens i would suggest you to buy a
Nikkor 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6g IF-ED AF-S DX VR.
Ok it is more expensive but i`m pretty sure you`ll be so happy with it that you won`t be looking for other lenses for quite a while .
You can do almost everything with it and it produces excellent quality pics ( i can give you a few examples if you want ?).

It`s optically stabilised so you`ll be comfortable concerning camera shake.

It`s the kind of lens you`ll never think of selling...it`s too perfect...it is the most popular lens , you can notice this easily on the net....everybody talks about it and if you look on a site like :

you`ll see that this is the lens with the most clicks.

In the hope that you can find it without having to order it, i live in Brussels and here you have a 2 to 3 months waiting delay for the availability... that`s how popular it is

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:34 PM   #4

off topic, but are you REALLY Guillermo Vilas (tennis player) or just a fan?

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:46 AM   #5

No i`m just a fan.

I was a teen in the late 70st and i was very much impressed with his power and style.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:18 AM   #6

For tele You can also look at Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO. It looks very good for cost about 200usd.
Of course, both Tamron and Sigma very darky lenses, and at long end (300mm) you need a tripod mount or enought amount of light (very light day need to be) to get sharpy images....
I could not said nothing about Tamron because I am owner of Sigma and happy with it.
Sergeus is offline   Reply With Quote