Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:37 PM   #1

This is my first time posting so if this has been asked in the past, please pardon my ignorance but I need the expertise of this community.

I am in the market for a dslr and have narrowed it down to the D80. However, I have a question regarding the lens kit. There are two appealing offers I have found but do not know which one is better or more practical. This will be my first Nikon, so I have no current Nikon lenses at my disposal.

With that out of the way, I am looking at:

1) D80 with a two lens set: Nikkor 28-80 mm F/3.3-5.6G AF zoom lens & 70-300MM F4-5.6 G Auto Focus zoom lens. This all for $1,199.99, or

2) D80 w/Nikkor 18-135MM F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S for $1, 299.

Is the single lens kit more practical although it increases the package price by $100.00 and will I get better quality pics. Or is the two/lens kit a better deal although maybe not as convenient. I will eventually decide the convenience factor so quality of the lens(es) and subsequential pic quality is where I am more concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help and info you can share!

bori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:08 PM   #2

I know nothing about the other lenses, but when I look at Steve's sample pictures, taken with the D80 w/Nikkor 18-135MM F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S lens, it seems (to me) that while the resolution in the center of the pictures is O.K., it gets more and more poor the nearer you get to the edges.

I may be comparing apples and oranges here, but I think my little Canon A300 has more uniform edge to edge resolution.

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:06 PM   #3

not sure why one lense is more than two? I've noticed the same thing, only thing I can think of is that it is more difficult/costly to make certain focal combinations.

I've always purchased lenses based on what I shoot.

For example if your into shooting things that are far away (animals, safari, sporting events, etc) you may be interested in a good zoom lense. If your into closeup shots of flowers and/or portraits a zoom lense probably isn't necesary.

If budget is an issue, you can always start w/ one lense then get more in the future.

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4

It comes down to quality. The 28-80 is the cheapest lens Nikon makes today. The 70-300G is the cheapest telephoto Nikon makes. Both lens are non-'S', that's the 'S' in "AF-S", so they do not have in-lens motor for focusing, the body powers it using the screw wedge. Quality wise, I wouldn't buy the 28-80, it's also not wide as it starts at 28mm. I have no experience with the 18-135, but I've used the 70-300G, and it's a decent lens for its price, but it needs a lot of light and it gets soft beyond 200mm.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote