Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:03 PM   #1

I've had my D50 for about 10 months now, and love it, but lately I've been thinking of moving up. While browsing around, I came to realize that Canon glass is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Nikon, all things being equal.

I'm considering unloading my D50, 18-55, 55-200, and 50 1.8 and picking up a 20D.

Does anyone here own both?

Or better yet, has anyone switched from Canon to Nikon?

I'd like to hear from both teams.
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:28 PM   #2

What Canon lenses are you consdering and comparing?

I bought the RebelXT about a year ago and returned it after using it for 6 weeks. The body was just too small. Also, at the time I saw that Nikon has a very versatile 18-200VR lens and Canon doesn't have anything comparable (they still don't).

If you are in the US, make sure you add the 5-yr warranty that Nikon offers to ALL their lenses, to the TCO. Most Canon lenses comes with just 1 yr, even the expensive ones. Also Canon like to nickel and dime you by not including lens hood on some lenses.

But whichever one you choose, you;ll be happy with either companies high end products.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:35 PM   #3

I'm looking at a 20D, 10-22 (aperture settings are escaping me at the moment, but they only make one), 50mm f/1.8, and 70-200 f4 L.

Not all at once though.

Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4

Weird, since the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 is priced close to the 70-200mm f4 L (IS and VR versions i think there is a 300$ difference, but then you only get F4 not F2.8), And 50mm f1.8's are the same price, the 10-22 is roughly 200$ cheaper than the nikon 12-24 I believe.

Ive seen a lot of people switch to Canon over the 5D, But thats because its a full frame sensor, and really an amazing camera.

20D should be a bit of a jump up from the D50, the D80 is probably closer to the 20D.

If your going used I tend to see a bit more Canon glass than Nikon, so you might find some good deals, But the cost of switching is quite high (reselling pretty new equipment is usually quite the pain, since you lose like 10-20% + tax)

IF you switch make sure its worth it to you in the long run, don't want to be out like 1500$ to realize that you probably didn't need to.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:18 AM   #5

What can't your d50 do that you need to upgrade to the 20d. In addition, what can the 20d do that the D80 can't?? If you're needing pro glass (and can afford pro glass), the cost difference isn't that signficant in the grand scheme of things. If you're current system isn't limiting you, the cost and hassle of switching systems and learning new gear isn't worth it in my opinion. As was said, you'll lose the price difference you'd save in glass by selling you're current gear at a loss. Both companies make great stuff and switching from one to the other is for the most part a lateral move.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:16 PM   #6

I owned the Nikon F80 (film) camera with Nikon AF-S VR 24-120mm lens. Since I only owned 1 lens and was planning on trading-in my combo when I went digital, I had no system set-up. Because of a friend, I tried the Canon 20D with Canon EF 17-40 F4.0L lens combo and was not impressed. I found the 20D to be very inconsistant with indoor flash photography (using the Canon 420EX flash). I tried a diferent body, different lens and also different flash (all Canon) and again with the same inconsistant results and was not impressed with digital SLRs.

At this point, Idecided to try the Nikon (D50) and right from the start I was extremely pleased and satisfied. The camera was consistant and always worked as advertised. Since then, I've never looked back nor regretted my decision to move to Nikon and get into digital photography. I now own both the Nikon D50 and Nikon D80 bodies.

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:23 PM   #7

rjseeney always knows his stuff and makes a great point. I dont personaly like the canon shutter sound and menus. Shutter sound being not a selling point of image quality.. I just got a D-80 and am totaly in love with it. Think you might just try a great Nikon vr lens or something and you will get amazeing images you`ll probaly be happy with.

Good luck, Mark
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote