Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:47 PM   #1

HELP !!!!!!

Hi friends,

I just got a Nikon d80. I've taken a bunch of shots using a Sandisk Ultra ll secure digital card.

My computer (s) recognize the card as a drive but doesn't see the picture files. It keeps asking me if I want to format the card. I'm fairly certain I did that upon loading it into the card gate.

Could anyone help me with this one? Should I just say buh-bye to the pics and format the card.

I've never had a dslr before and I'm wondering if I've committed some grave mistake!

I'm on holidays now and would love to capture some of the beautiful local scenery. I won't take another shot until I get some advice. I'm not new to photography, coming from SLRs and lots of other digicams, but this sure has me boggled.

Thanks for any help you can give

PatoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:48 PM   #2

Did you format the card after removing it from the camera (with pictures on it)? If so, formating the card clears the card. There are some free image recovery software programs out there, so all may not be lost. Also, you should always format the card in the camera, not via computer. That way the card is set up exactly how the camera will be looking for it and decrease the chance of corruption during writing the images.

The possibility also exists that you card may be incompatible with your reader. If your reader is more than a few years old, this could be your problem. Try connecting the camera directly to the computer to see if this may be your issue. If your computer can open the images, your reader is the problem. I download directly from my cameras now and with the long battery life of Nikon DSLR's, draining your battery should not be a problem.

Finally, you could have a bad card. Try another card in the camera and see if this solves your problem.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:02 PM   #3

Can you view any pictures from the card on the camera's LCD?

----------------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote