Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1

What are my software options when connecting my notebook/PC to my camera on location? (P2P using USB cable)

When shooting portraits at an event, I'd like to show the client the picture just taken on a computer screen, as opposed to them looking at a small preview at theback of camera.If they are not happy with the picture,I must be able to delete the pic and retake until the client is satisfied.

The problem with Photoshop (v7.0) is that each time you import pictures, it reloads all the pictures on the card.I've tried ACDSeePro and this seems to work well with theWIA function.What do the pro's useon location for this purpose?

Are there any cable-free/wireless options for the D70s/D80 to be able to send the pixx to the PC?
13miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 5:31 AM   #2

My suggestion would be a freeware program called XnView. It can read .jpg and .raw files from my D70 with no problems. It can show you a thumbnail view of the directory and show a selected picture full-screen. It also has a very good capability for making common day-to-day adjustments. Most of the pictures on my Nikon pages were corrected with XnView. It is a much smaller program than any PhotoShop variant, too, and loads quickly.

I have no financial interest in XnView, I am just impressed with it.

http://jeffglasser.com/soccer/ (long time to load)

Good luck.
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:09 AM   #3

Many thanks for the tip jbigfoot - will download a copy, try it out and post some feedback sometime soon...
13miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4

You might like to check out the free Adobe Lightroom beta that you can download. It won't be in beta much longer, but beta users get a discount when the first version comes out.

Try it out and see if you like it. I use it on my laptops and find it is a very powerful program for keeping track of photos by shoots, dates, folders etc.

Just google "Adobe Lightroom" and pick out your version.

It preserves the raw files (or jpegs) and allows you to "undo" any and all changes you made to a photo. You can export entire directories as jpegs, tiffs etc.

Worth a look...

reader is offline   Reply With Quote