Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1

I am doing the dslr evaluation waltz...

I know nothing about Nikon lenses - is there a specific series or number of series that will be comaptible with the D80?
Thanks in advance.

twojayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:23 AM   #2

The D80 is compatible with Nikon lenses made in the past 50 years. Something Canon decided to change and screw people like me over, which is why I ditched Canon.

The only Nikon DSLR currently that isn't compatible (unless manually focused) is the D40 as it has no in body focus motor. The D80 does. as does all others. But all Nikon lenses will still fit on the D40, but unless they have an in lens focus motor, you are forced to manually focus them.

"I stares over at a box of late 70's Canon lenses that are 100% useless and worth nothing"
Tweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:03 PM   #3

I keep hoping my early 70's Nikon lenses will work on my D80, but a kind person sent me a link to the Nikonians site and a list that indicates mine will not. Page 118 of the D80 manual says that non A1 lenses, as well as specific others, are not comaptible. I believe mine are prior to the A1's. I seem to remember Nikon offering a modification for the earlier lenses to make them A1 compatible, but I foolishly ignored the offer. I'm still confused by all this as my simple mind thinks there must be an adapter ring. I know I'd have to set things manually, but shouldn't experimentation be simple with deletable digitals ? I know I'll never go back to film, but it would sure be nice to find a use for my old buddies.

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:33 PM   #4

There are some repair shops that will convert your old lenses to AI so you can mount them on the D80, but you would have to use them in a full manual mode - the camera's metering will not work with the AI lenses.

The D200's metering will work with such lenses though.

----------------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote