Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:40 AM   #1

Well, I tested a D40 in the store today and fell in love with it immediately. It's a very nice little camera. I love the feel of the camera and the photos looked very good on the little screen. Next time I go back to that store, I'll take a data card with me to evaluate the images at home.

While I was exploring the menus, I noticed one thing about the camera though. It doesn't have an automatic bracketing function, which could be a deal breaker for me.
I don't use bracketing that much, but sometimes it does come in very handy, especially for blending the exposures together in Photoshop during Post Processing.

For the owners of the D40, how much of a problem is not having an autobracket for you?

shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:07 AM   #2

The answer is really based on your shooting style. I almost never use it with my D70 and D80, so I likely wouldn't miss it. If you make a lot of use of this function, not having it probably should be considered a dealbreaker, especially when the D50 does have it for a few dollars more.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:10 AM   #3

I never use any autobracketing.
just take a shoot, look at the screen and adjust if needed. usually - no adjustment is required

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:01 PM   #4

i'd have to agree with the rest, never felt the need of the bracketing function, though the camera takes wonderful pics, i just take the picture, if its not good i change settings and re-take it, programs like noiseware is a must.!

clue is offline   Reply With Quote