Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:36 PM   #11

jbarrick wrote:
My point in posting the question is "How affective is VR?" is still a mystery.
The problem is that there is no real good way of measuring it, since you have a lot of different variables going into camera shake and the systems to compensate for it (higher frequency movements, lower frequency movements, rotational movement, etc.), and the shake that one person causes may be different compared to the shake another person causes.

A good "rule of thumb" is to expect a 2 stop benefit from a major brand stabilization system (as I mentioned in my first reponse).

In some conditions, you'll likely do better than that. I've been astonished at how slow I could get a stabilized shot with my KM 5D from time to time. But, I don't count on more than 2 stops (meaning that you'd normally need shutter speeds 4 times as fast to prevent blur from camera shake).

Nikon actually claims up to 4 stops with their newer VR II systems.

Sony claims up to 3.5 stops with their SSS (Super Steady Shot) built into the body (which is the Konica Minolta Anti-Shake System, that they claim has been refined more). KM only claimed up to 3 stops with it.

So, my suggestion would be to assume 2 stops (even though you may be able to do better than that with many shots).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:44 PM   #12

jbarrick wrote:
My point in posting the question is "How affective is VR?" is still a mystery.

Close to 200 people have viewed this post in the last 3 days, one can lonely assume they were wondering the same thing at one point or another.

Dose anyone with first hand experience have an opinion??

"would probably give a great image" Isn't very reassuring.

Thanks Jeff

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens
As Jim said, Nikon claims up to 4 stops advantage with VR II. It won't help with a fast moving subject but it will with stationary or slow moving subjects in less than great light. How effective it is also depends on the individual, some people have amazingly rock steady hands (not me) they probably won't see nearly as much advantage as the rest of us.

I have a Panasonic FZ30 with IS, it works very well and when I got a D80 and 70-300 Tamron I really missed that image stabilization at long focal lengths, I really had to keep to the 1/<focal length> rule for anything approaching sharp shots. With the Nikon 70-300 VR I've gotten some reasonably sharp images at 300mm @ 1/50th of a second.

This is sized down which makes sharpness difficult to tell but was taken at 300mm and 1/50th of a second
Or this one, 70mm at 1/6th of a second

Others may have a different experiences but this lens is worth every penny to me.

JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:07 PM   #13

I figure if VR will give me an advantage of fewer blurred shots at the long end it would be worth it.

Thanks again

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote