Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2002, 5:14 PM   #1
Default D100 solution to old lenses

This solution gives spot, centerweight and matrix metering (not 3D) with or without flash, with any lens with a Nikon F-mount on the D100.
It is perfectly possible to manually set the same information as the camera get from the lens-CPU (max/min aperture etc.) on a D100 via the "shooting menu settings" for any non-CPU lens. You also have to set the lens at the smallest aperture and control the aperture from the D100 command dial (the aperture would then be transferred to the lens via the mechanical lever at the moment of the shot). If you change lens to any other non-CPU lens, you have to change the settings manually, but the camera could easily detect any change of lens to any new CPU-lens and set the data accordingly.
This solution does work, which has been confirmed with Rolland Elliot, who upgrade old non-CPU lenses to work with the exposure meter in the new Nikon-bodies (F80, D100 etc).
It would of course require a firmware update, but would certainly open up another huge piece of the market for Nikon, not to mention how many old and faithful Nikon-customers like me, with a lot of excellent old glass, it would make happy. There is also a lot of glass out there that is performing better than the corresponding new, AF, CPU-lenses. And manual focus is still working fine!
To Nikon: There is a h.. of a lot of value in Goodwill. And if the old lenses are made obsolete - I may as well change to Canon any minute.
Finally. If Nikon won’t, maybe some hacker will……..
jenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links