Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:35 AM   #1

I'm using the D70 since 2 years before. and i knw that the photos will look a bit dark and a lot of people applied the custom curve to the camera to settle this problem.
Can i ask the D200 user, is it the D200 face the same thing? all the photo look a bit underexpose and need to apply the custome curve also? how about canon camera or others dSLR?

thanks in advance.

koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2

Hi Koshinki,

I have a D200 and don't have any problems at all. I use the 18/200 "VR" Nikonlens 99% of the time but have also used my 50mm 1.4 "D" and My 85mm 1.8 "D" lens with no problems.

When I first got a Nikon 8700 I always had dark pictures on my computer monitor. I was told on a couple of forums to adjust my monitor lighter and after I did I never had another problem with dark looking photographs. Since the 8700 I have had a D100 and now the D200. Never adjusted the monitor again.

My D200 is the best ever and I am totaly satisfied with everything about it.

Attached Images
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:11 PM   #3

You don't really need a custom curve to fix this. From what I've seen, custom curves are usually used to fix more complex issues (like skin tones) or just to match you're specific taste in color tone.

For a general under exposure problem, you can just set your camera to +EV compensation all the time and check the histogram. This is what I started doing with my D50 after my first hundred shots were coming out underexposed. My camera is now in +.3 or +.7 by default. I read up on this and found the "expose to the right" school of thought:

rey is offline   Reply With Quote