Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:05 PM   #1

Sorry, this post is quite similar to another one, however I didn`t get the exact answer I needed from that post and the links...

I was wondering if the Nikkon TC-14E II (1.4x) will work with the afformentioned Lens ?

From what i`ve read the 1.7x and 2.0x versions are definately not recommended - however the jury appears out on the 1.4 !

I`ve read that the Kenko 1.4 version works OK....so I could buy this one, but ideally I`d like to get the same brand as the lens itself.

Thanks for any help you can give!

A Geezer From East London is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:55 PM   #2

Nikon states that all TC's are incompatible with this lens. As I said in a previous post, you'll lose AF, the viewfinder will be noticably dark, and most importantly any optical deficiencies the lens has (and there will be some since I assume you'll be at the 300mm end , the weakest optical length of this lens) will be magnified. TC's do not work well with zoom lenses, except maybe the constant F2.8 zooms. I know it's tempting to try to get that extra reach, I think you'll get better quality from cropping a shot at 300 down than shooting at 420 with the TC on. You're better off picking up a longer lens...I have a tamron 200-400 (around $225 used) for those occasions when I need extra reach. TC's are really only suitable for fast, optically excellent prime lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:29 AM   #3

You would need to try this lens with the TC II. It's not just about AF and image quality it's probably about the way it attaches. I have a Kenco Pro 3001.4 and it works with all my lenses (except the 10-20)as does the 2.0x (losing none of the functionality but only the "compatible" lenses return the multiplied focal length). However my TCII 1.7X is completely different it has a projection that slots into the barrel of the longer lenses. So it only works with my 70-200 VR my 300 2.8 and my 600 F4. I think if it says it is not compatible then your lens will not mount on it.

I know you want to go Nikon butyou would be paying about the samefor the teleconvertoras the lensand that should sound warning bells.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote