Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:18 PM   #1

I am looking at buying another lens soon. I currently have only 1. The Sigma 18-200mm for my Nikon D50. This lens is designed for an image sensor which is not full size. I hate to wrap myself up in a bunch of the smaller sensor size lenses if the market moves to full size sensors soon. It seems like it might be a long way off, but we all know how quickly the electronic market changes. When lenses last for more than 25 years it seems like it might be better to stay away from these new lenses.

Anyone have any idea of how quick the average mid level dSLR will move to full sensor size?
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:33 PM   #2

Considering Nikon hasn't even announced it's first camera larger than 1.5x, I wouldn't worry about it. plus they have a high-speed crop mode on high end camera, that (if they are smart), they will port to any FF or 1.3x or 1.2x to make APS lenses usable.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:29 PM   #3

I don't see the industry moving to all full size sensors anytime soon. The APS sized sensors already rival 35mm, if not exceeding it. Full size does provide some advantages,notably dynamic range and noise handling and wide angle shotting, but its still very expensive to produce the larger sensors. For the average user, the smaller sensors make more sense economically and get better with each generation.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote