Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1

Today was a proud day. My brand new D80 c/w AF -S Nikkor 18-135 lens & Tokina SD 12-24arrived. I am totally new to DSLR cameras and have spent many evenings educating myself thanks to some kind people on this forum.

I read the quick start instructions and began shooting. Very impressive in comparison with my previous Olympus C4000. However, it became clear after a short while that I was having problems with the auto focus on the 18-135. When I depress theshoot button, the lens "hunts" and makes some weird noises but will not focus and allow me to take the photograph. I have no problems with manual focusing and the auto focususing the Tokina 12-24 is fast and very impressive.

I hope that I am doing something wrong and the lens is OK. Has anyone had similar problems or can advise me what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks...Paul.
paulinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:50 AM   #2

Were shooting in a low light? The 18-135 is a slow lens and it will hunt in these

situations. Make sure the auto focus lamp is on.:|
digital demon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:21 PM   #3

Hi Paul,

I am a newbie with D80 and its kit lens 18-135mm.

I have hadsomesimilar problem. But I am not sure it is the sameproblemthat you havewith your lens.

When you take a shot you need to frame a photo in the viewfinder with the main subject positioned in any of the eleven focus areas. (There are 11 focus points in the focus area.)

If your focus point is point to the blank space or empty space,
(your selected focus point is out of the subject area) the lens cannot focus.

For example, if I pointed to the white wall the lens cannot focus at all.
You can hear the lens movement noise when the lens is trying to focus the subject but it cannot focus on the target so you cannot press the shutter. You need to adjust one of the focus points to left/right/up/down to focus on the subject area in the viewfinder. Sometime you need to to recompose the photo and then you can take a shot. You can hear the beef sound when the camera focuses on the subject in auto focus mode.

This experience is not only with 18-135mm but also with other lens when using autofocus. I don't have Tokina SD 12-24 but I have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D and it has the same problem when my focus point is not on the subject area.

When you are using the manual focus mode it is not an issue. There is no problem even the focus point is not on the target. You can take a shot.

Hope this helps you.

ps. This is just my experience with autofocusing. I might be wrong. Hope, someone can advice you more in details.

Please see page 28 to 32 in the manual guide.

chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:11 AM   #4

Hi chwin & digital demon,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I first noticed the problem when shooting in low light and using any degree of zoom. At 18mm it focuses almost 100% of the time, even in poor lighting, providing the center focus point is on the subject.In daylight or good daytime indoor light there is only the occasional problem whatever the zoom is set to. It really is more of a problem when zooming in under poor lighting conditions, even when the subject is well defined against a neutral background.

I think one of my main concerns is the noise that the lens makes when it is trying to focus, a whiring ratchet type of noise. Maybe this is normal. Although the Tokina is silent and focuses instantly.

I called Nikon tech support hoping for some advice. The conversation lasted about 30 seconds and I was told that the lens may or may not be faulty and to return it to them to be checked. Not much help.

I am going to persevere with the lens for a while, working on the assumptionthat I am the problem and not the lens. Having only owned point & shoot cameras for ever, I need to learn how to operate a "proper camera" andlearn more about manual focusing.I just wanted to establish whether or not I may have a faulty lens.

Aside from my lens issue, I am staggered with the quality of pictures from the D80. Even without a tripod, the definition and clarity is superb. Maybe I need to look at a faster zoom lens that copes better in low light situations.

paulinfl is offline   Reply With Quote