Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1

Well I've developed a similar philosophy regarding my Camera, specifi9cally my D200 and my need to take it with me at all times, to my philosophy on CCW, better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Yesterday I was in my car in traffic going into downtown Kansas City right next to the downtown airport , when traffic was completely stopped for no explicable reason. All of a sudden, about 50 feet over my head flew Airforce One in what would have made one of the most amazing pictures as it flew over and landed about 500 yds away. I have frequently been in KC working ( I'm a drug rep and spend most of my day driving around the city) and encountered some amazing human events, from fires, to wrecks, to huge drug busts, even saw a police shoot out once that had I had my D200 and 18-200 vr with would have made very interesting shots. I saw a tornado go thru North KC/Parkville a few years ago, at least had the good sense to grab my F2. Single guys, an amazing way to meet beautiful women is to ask to take their picture. Bottom line, I take my camera w/ me every day now. Heck, I take pictures of trains alot as well, great entertainment for my 3 year old son. I also have great walks w/ my wife taking the kids and just shooting pictures of them. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
clarkaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:03 PM   #2

I feel the same way about having my camera available at all times and it can get quite cumbersome to drag my D200 around everywhere. I only take it on planned outings.

For something on the spur of the moment I have a Canon A620. Easier to carry around all the time and takes very good pictures.

Sometimes I drag around my UZ FZ1v2 or FZ10 for street photography. The OIS and 420mm zoom is great to have for spur of the moment shots.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:51 PM   #3

I remember the last time I forgot to take my camera with me to work. I was using a little Nikon Coolpix 800 at the time. I must have changed jackets or something and just forgot the camera. It turned out to be a day I will never forget. 9/11/2001. I had to walk home from my job in lower Manhattan, a distance of about 10 miles. The missed photo ops I encountered on my walk home must have numbered in the hundreds.Now Inever go anywhere without a camera. Even if I can't always carry my D50 with me I'll put a good quality point and shoot in my pocket. You never know. Most of the really great photos wereobtained not because the photographer was so good or because the equiptment was the best but because the guy that took the photo was in the right place at the right time.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote