Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:57 PM   #1

We went to the beach yesterday to hang out and snap a few pix... My Camera & lense got sprayed with salt water from the waves crashing on the rocks. I know I cant soak the camera like my fishing gear, and cant really use soap.

How do you clean Camera gear after exposure to the elements like this?

How about changing the lenses?? yesterday was windy and sand was moving....

RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 3:25 PM   #2

I always carry a trash bag with me in my bag for lens changes in bad weather/windy conditions. The bag can also double as a rain jacket. The beach is also one of the only situations I would consider using a UV/haze filter for protection. The beach is a harsh environment for a camera. I try not to use my DSLR, instead using a film SLR or one of my point and shoot cameras.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:47 PM   #3

I'm not sure there's a truly "right" answer.

I would use a chamois dampened (not wet!) with tap water to wipe it off very thoroughly...rinsing the chamois and wringing it out often.

You should take care removing the lens so if there's any salt, sand or debris trapped in the grooves, it doesn't make its way inside the camera. In fact, I would set the camera lens down on the subject end with the camera above it and remove it with the lens pointing down, just to be sure. Then clean around the lens mount before turning the camera upright again.

I would be very hesitant to use any air blower on it...you might end up forcing sand further into any grooves.

I brought garbage bags with me in Africa and must say the concept is great but the execution is haphazard, at best. Dust and sand blows right into the bag. But they do make nice, short-term, heavy weather bags to protect the camera.

I had visions of changing lenses in the bags...but common sense told me it would be better to wait until in a vehicle, tent or other shelter before even attempting that! ;-)

reader is offline   Reply With Quote