Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:26 PM   #1

This D40x will be my first dSLR camera. I am having a tough time picking out accessories, mainly lenses. I'm not very familiar with them since I've only owned point and shoot camera's. Maybe I should tell you what I'll be using if for in order to get your opinion. I have a graphic design business, and my clients want me to take photos of their establishments and at their events for placement in brochures and websites. So, I will be mostly taking indoor photos in bad light. I will list a bundled package below that I found online for $919 (plus shipping) and was wondering if it was good or would you recommend other lenses. This package doesn't include a Flash, but I was looking at the SB-600 to buy separately. I only have a budget of $1,200, so I know I can't get the best of the best......... Thanks for your help!

•The Nikon D40x SLR Digital Camera

•Tamron 75-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Lens
•Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Lens
•Titanium Digital Optics multi-coated .45X lens

SD Card
•4GIG High Speed Memory Card

Other Accessories
•Ultra High Speed 12 in 1 USB Card Reader
•Heavy Duty Aluminum Hard Case
•Large Digital Camera/Video Carrying Case
•Professional Aircraft Aluminum Tripod
•Table Top Tripod
•Professional 3 Pc. Lens Clening Kit
FL_Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:19 PM   #2

Did you know that the Tamron will not auto focus on your D40 as the D40 does not have a drive motor. you will only be able to manually fous with that particular lens.

The kit lens will auto focus because it is motorised.

You may see a twin lens package that gives the 18-55 plus the Nikon 55-200 at a good price, I think the Nikon 55-200 isalso motorised, but you may need to confirm that.

As a suggestion - would you consider the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens. This single lens may give you all you need initially (plus flash). Becausethe D80 does have a drive motor, you can add the Tamron (or othernon-motorised lens) at a later time.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:06 PM   #3

Thank you Norm. I was looking at the D80 before the D40x came out, and as a newbie, I thought it might be a better camera since it had the same megapixels. After reading your suggestion and doing a "D40x vs. D80" google search, I think you are right. Most of the deals that I've seen on the D80 don't include the SB-600 flash at the same low price, they include a generic flash. I might have to spend a couple hundred dollars more than I wanted to. Thanks again.
FL_Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:13 AM   #4

You also have to consider the reputation of the vendor from whom you're ordering from. Who is it?? It seems like you're getting alot, but much of what you are receiving may not be necessary or is likely of questionable quality. For example, I doubt you'll be satisfied with the wide angle converter (no recognizeable brand name, and these types of converters don't work well with DSLR's anyway). Also, do you need two cases or a table top tripod. None of this stuff has a listed brand name (although it does sound nice). These bundles often sound good, but in reality are often well short of being good. Check your vendor out at www.resellerratings.com.

In reality, I think the D40 is a better deal then the D40x. The extra 4mp is a nice plus, but is not a huge a difference as you might expect. The D40x offers no other advantage besides extra mp. You could then put the extra money toward a tele lens (the 55-200 is the logical choice), and still be able to fit in a good bag, some memory, a usable tripod and the SB600, and still be under your $1200 budget.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote