Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 5, 2007, 5:33 PM   #1

I have a batch of Ai lenses from my F3 that I want to use on a new digital. Found a closeout D70s and looked at a D50. D200 is a bit steep for me .

Anyway, went to local camera store an took a 20mm and 35mm to see if they would work on the above bodies. The salesman said no. He put the 35 on a d 50 and D80 and said it was on manual, Then he hit the shutter releasebutton and it would not fire, to show me he was right.I have not used the digital so I dont know if it was set right or not. I found a page in the Nikon web site that says they will work on manual. This site reviews say it will. Am I geting stroked by these folks??? I know these lens are AI cause they have the tab on the f stop ring that engages the meter on the F3. I know they won't AF and I probably will have to set f stop and exp., I have been shooting sports for 30 years and can focus, and have a luna pro.. Any advice would be appreciated....Or this guy just selling D200'?

Thanks Bud
ditditdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2007, 6:30 PM   #2

According to Thom Hogan at http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm they should mount but no metering.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3

The lens fits mechanically,but the shutter release will not fire...

May be that the body does not know electrically what the lens is..Might have to do a Ai-P conversion???

ditditdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:18 AM   #4

I have used a non-Ai lens on my D50 without any problems.

You should set the body switch to M and the dial to M.
Aperture and shutter speed should be adjust accordingly using the other dial button (forgot the name).

Hope this helps.
bedde is offline   Reply With Quote