Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 23, 2007, 6:32 PM   #1

I'm signed up for a 16 day cruise through Asia in December. I can't decide whether to buy a D40x now, and risk a better Nikon introduction in 6 months, or wait till November for a new "D45" or whatever.

I have an 8400 which is adequate for now but I want a DSLR for the trip for better low light and superior composing capability. The advantage of buying the D40x now is I'll get six months to get intimate with the D40x, but the downside is a better camera introduction just before the trip. I hate buyers remorse and I don't want to get screwed selling the D40x for a big loss to get a new Nikon.

Any idea if Nikon will introduce a new D40 class camera before December?

rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2007, 7:20 PM   #2

I just came back from a cruise, 7 day caribbean, and had been looking at a new camera before the cruise as well. I was thinking about getting a DSLR to take and be able to get better pictures than my Canon A540. I waited. Don't wait.

While the P&S camera worked out well for some stuff, quick snaps here and there, I really felt I could have done a bit more with the DSLR. You're probably going to get good pictures out of your 8400, and you'll likely be happy with them. But geting the D40x now, will give you more options on the trip. You just have more contol, and more choice going DSLR.

As for the D40x being replaced in six months, I'm doubting it. It's pretty new right now, so I'm guessing that it will stick around for a while. Sure it might get bumped next year, but if you're happy with it for what it is, don't worry.

Good luck and enjoy the cruise,

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 3:26 AM   #3

If you are not happy with what the D40 is now then get a D40X or a D80

I have a D50 and a D80 and both are awesome cameras

I would not trade either of them for the d40, even tho I am sure the D40 is a great little camera.

Look at the D80 It will amaze you

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:38 AM   #4

I own the Nikon D-40X equipped with the kit lens and the Nikkor 55-200mmVR lens. I really like that combination a lot and the D-40X is a dream to use. In as much as the Nikon D-40X is really directly competing with the Canon XTi, I think it will be around for about as long as the Canon XTi is.

Get the camera and enjoy it. It is a great camera and I don't think that you will be disappointed. Like JeffS said in his post, it is those missed, or less than you expected photos taken with your trusty point and shoot that make you regret not buying the camera and really enjoying it while getting some really great high IQ photos.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 8:08 AM   #5

Just like computers or cars, there will always be a replacement down the road...

so if you want it just get it.. its GOING to be obsolete anyway.. if you keep waiting you can ALWAYS wait!

Also remeber, just because something newer "will" be released... does this mean the D40x is a bad camera???

+ i'm with texas... can you stretch to a d80 with the 18-200 lense kit? i got it and i CANNOT find a fault.. and i been looking!!! extra cash but i think its a camera you can own longer!
ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 2:18 PM   #6

Whatever you buy and whenever you buy, there will be something bigger (or smaller) and better sometime in the future. Bear in mind that with a DSLR, you are buying into a "system" from one manufacturer, because the lenses outlive the camera body. Within the last 18 months, I bought a superzoom and then a DSLR whilst away on holidays, but had to learn the cameras quickly. (The superzoom is now obsolete but its still does what I want.)

Most complex electronic/optical instruments need a fair bit of familiarisation to get the best out of them. You need to have used the DSLR quite a bit and experimented with the options before going on holiday. I bought the D40 knowing the D40X had been released but was not available in the shops.I didn't need the extra 4 Mp, (or the larger files) and felt the D40 was the right camera at the right price for me, so I have no regrets about not waiting for the D40X. If you have done your research and know what you want, you should be very pleased with it and not have buyers remorse if a replacement comes along later (surely unlikely for the D40xso soon?).
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 3:36 PM   #7

go get the D40 if that is what you want

then get lots of memory for it and an extra battery

Then get a laptop computer to take with you on the cruse so you can download the pics each night and free up your memory cards

and shoot shoot shoot. If I was going on a 16 day cruse Id take at least 16,000 pics on it. taking 1000 pics perday with a good DSLR is not at all unusual for me

Then when you get back home and have plenty of time to do it you can look at them all and delete the bad ones and keep the good ones. Digital pics cost nothing to take except a little battery power and a little effort to take, so SHOOT SHOOT and SHOOt somemore . and you will increase your chances of getting some awesome pics.

When I go out for a day of shooting I always shoot lots of pics and shooting over a 1000 a day is nothing for me.

Ofcouse they are not all good, but i increase the chances of having some good ones with the amount I take

Dont wait , get the camera now so you will be confortable with it by then and SHOOT SHOOT SHOOt and post post post them here for us to seee

Have fun

Old May 24, 2007, 3:50 PM   #8

The D40X is a new model, and there should not be a replacement for it in the near future. Whatever you buy, consider all the fun you will have using it, whereas if you hold out for a newer model, you can't shoot anything. You want to have some time to get used to the camera before leaving on the cruise.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:46 PM   #9

Hey Cope

I see yo uare from Houston also

What you been shooting around town lately?

do you have any good places to go shoot

What part of town do you live

I live on east side by northlook by San Jacinto North Campus. I went and shoot the Houston Art Car Parade a week ago oe so and it was great

Texas Hillbilly
Old May 25, 2007, 3:03 PM   #10

I fully agree with the others and the more practice you get, the better your shots will be!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote