Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:29 PM   #1

I was looking for a TTL flash unit for my Nikon D100 dslr camera and was unable to decide which flashI should choose from the following options;

1. SB-80DX
2. SB-28DX
3. SB-600

My primary aim is to use it with my D100, however I was thinking in terms of compatibilty of the unit with the other current and future models of Nikon DSLR's.

Presently, I am using SB-25 speedlight which works in Auto mode but no TTL metering is available.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks in Advance.

ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 2:30 AM   #2

I'd suggest that you look very carefully at the specifications on the Nikon site before choosing. It really depends on the usage and what power you need. I use it for night motor racing and so went for the SB800 and am completely satisfied. As regards the future, the SB600/800 are compatible with all the current DSLR Nikons and should carry you through into the future.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3

For the D-100 you will want the SB-28DX, the SB-80DX orthe SB-600 as well as the SB-800 because thay allwill offer D-TTL on your camera when using a "D" lens. I use the SB-28DX on my D-100 with no problems at all. Just make certain you get a "DX" speedlight if buying a 28 or 80. The 600 & 800 are DX.

The 600 & 800 will not work TTL at all on a D-100 unless you do have a "D" lens attached. A non-"D" plain lens will only work manual mode.

Page 8 & 9 of the SB-600 owners manual has all of this information on it. Of course you know the wireless features as well as I-TTL will not function on a D-100.

I'm not sure but I do think you can use a non-"D" lens with the 28DX or 80DX and just regular TTL will work on the D-100. All of my len's are "D" so the problem never came up with my use of the D-100. With the 600 or 800 speedlights you have to use a "D" lens for TTL to function.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 6:10 AM   #4

Hi, if you can money wise get the sb800 /the best in the nikon lineup.If you decide to by a newer nikon Dslr you will be glad you did!or buy my sb80dx so I can justify buying a second sb 800(grin)
willax is offline   Reply With Quote